So by now you probably have your website set up and maybe you have already created the social media pages for your business. You may also have a small number of followers. The question now is, how do you increase the number of followers on your social media pages? Well, the quickest and stupidest way to be to pay someone to get likes on your page. Why is this a bad strategy you ask? Well, because that won’t do much for your business. Those likes will not be organic, they will not come from people who are interested in your business. Having followers on social media is not about quantity, it’s about quality. If you can attract the right people you will see great results.
OK, so how do you do that? Here are five ways you can increase your number of followers:
- The most important thing is having and posting great content. Content which resonates with you followers, which is useful to them. Even if you don’t do anything else, make sure you have great content. This can be anything really. An image, a video, an infographic, a short post, anything. There are great online tools which you can use to create amazing content, and some of them are even free!
- Keep your posts short. If your post is very long, then 2 things will happen. in the first case, people will just skip your post. In the second case, they will read the first two sentences and then say tl;dr, which stands for “too long, didn’t read”. Keep it short and entertaining.
- Engage with your followers. Listen to them, react to their comments, let them see your human side. Be an informer, not a meformer. How do you know if you’re an informer or a meformer? An informer usually shares posts that relate to themselves. An informer usually publishes posts that share information. Use the 80/20 rule. 80% content, 20% product/service.
- Stay active but not too active. Be relevant, be entertaining but don’t spam your audience. If you publish too many posts, too many updates then they will not click the like button, they’ll hit the unfollow button.
- Use hashtags. Now, they may work better on Twitter than on Facebook, but using popular hashtags when you post about trending topics is certainly a good way of attracting new followers.
+1 extra strategy: Another great strategy is to Organize contests or give special discounts to your followers on social media. This is guaranteed to increase your number of followers.